Office of Human Resources
Main navigation | Main content
Employment Verification: Frequently Asked Questions
- How does the University of Minnesota do employment verifications?
- The University of Minnesota utilizes a third party vendor to provide automated verification of employment and income. The Work Number is an automated, secure service providing access to individuals who need to verify employment status and/or salary information. Typically verifications are required when a person applies for a loan, leases an apartment or applies for a job. The University of Minnesota has followed the example of many other large employers, both public and private, and has outsourced employment verification in order to streamline the process and provide 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, service to employees and verifiers.
- Who can request a verification?
Generally verifications are requested by:
- Prospective employers
- Mortgage companies and other lenders processing loan applications
- Property managers evaluating lease applications
- How often is the verification data base updated?
- The U of MN transmits an updated file to the Work Number following each bi-weekly pay cycle.
- How does the verification process work?
- Most large lenders and employers already utilize The Work Number and are familiar with the process. Others may register with The Work Number by visiting www.theworknumber.com or by calling 1-800-367-5690. Verifiers who wish to be billed by their phone company, rather than registering with The Work Number, may call 1-900-555-WORK, and they are charged a nominal fee per minute for the call.
- Are employees charged for verifications?
- Employees should not be charged for verifications from the Work Number. Most lending institutions or property managers charge flat loan-processing fees to cover the cost of verifications such as these. If employees receive a charge which is identifiable as a Work Number verification, they may request a refund of those charges from The Work Number by calling their client service center at 1-800-996-7566.
- How secure is the site?
The University of Minnesota transmits the bi-weekly file to The Work Number using FTP with PGP.
If additional information is desired, contact The Work Number at www.theworknumber.com.